Author Topic: DNLA NAS box  (Read 9584 times)

ArmchairCoward

• Clan Members

• View Profile
DNLA NAS box
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:28:10 AM »
FIRST!

Haha.  Got to treasure the little wins.

Looking for a DNLA accessible box to keep all my media on, but want to be able to manage/transfer files via network.

My new Freesat box has DNLA client but not server and I'm having little luck with a server on my download box as it tends to crash and half the videos not accessible.  Thought i might be best with a dedicated box I can store everything on, manage via network, and play on all my gadgets. 

Anybody selling one of these or have any advice?

Saw this one which looks in my price range and has good reviews.

http://www.dabs.com/products/d-link-sharecenter-pulse-dns-320-2-bay-network-storage-enclosure-78PQ.html

Trooper

• Clan Senior Admins

• Quartermaster

• View Profile
Re: DNLA NAS box
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
this is all gobbledy gook..can you please translate for us layman please dwarfer ha ha ha....
Shoot first, question later,then shoot them again

Dwarfer

• Clan Council

• Technical Architect

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »
I have and use a QNAP 6 bay device. Very Good.

ArmchairCoward

• Clan Members

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
Very Nice !

You did see the bit where i said the £35 one was in my price range?

Doubt the Missus will let me spend £550 on media storage ha ha

A+ for Quality

C- for Effort

F for Bragging

AC

Executer

• Clan Members

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
As far i know a DLNA DMS (Digital Media Server) needs to be able to play the media AND needs the ressources to transcode it realtime for a client not supporting the codecs of the media.
And i guess most of us know how far usually such support goes (codec xyz only with profile a, b and c and everything else cant be played).
I serve all my stuff via simple SMB (CIFS) and FTP.
But my Client are all "intelligent" (Windows PC/NB, Wii with WiiMC, Android with BSplayer) and understand even fancier stuff.

I highly doubt does a NAS whith enough horsepower goes for around £35. And even IF it probably would support only a fraction of the various codecs, profiles etc. because it would need to be HW accelerated.
IF i would bother with something like that i probably would run the DMS on Windows or Linux.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:27:20 PM by Executer »

ArmchairCoward

• Clan Members

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »
Cheers for the avice Executer.

Having thought about my needs the only thing it has to do is provide network accessible storage with a good transfer rate and enable DLNA sharing.

I.E. I want to be able to transfer a video from my PC to the box via the network, and then a DLNA client (plugged into TV) can see it.

The media function built into my freesat box has played everything i've thrown at it via USB, and my Pi/PC can play anything else.  Only issue I've had is that the DLNA server on my download box (really old laptop) bugs out, half the videos don't appear to be available on the client.  Possibly it'd be better if I performed a clean install on the laptop and tried again but I like the idea of a NAS box I can keep plugged in the cupboard or behind the PC out of the way.

Possibly [Likely] I'm misunderstanding how DLNA works?  I will have a google of it to make sure I'm not being daft in my old age.  Does a client simply act as a screen for the server?

Executer

• Clan Members

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
To me it looks like a DMS streams media to a client.
Some of it just stream it 1:1 (probably a simple bitstream) while other implementations transcode the media if the client couldn't play it natively (Server needs codecs and cpu power to transcode realtime -> expensive and needs codec support.
If your box plays the media if you feed it via USB then i guess it could be played via DLNA too with the simple stream.

But i personaly dont see any advantage in DLNA then over common protocols like SMB and FTP.
If i google for DLNA i see for example ppl who can't use basic features like seeking in media which is just plain WTF.

I would check if your box supports SMB/CIFS or FTP with authentication as a fallback if DLNA doesn't turns out as expected. These are the normal protocols a NAS gets accessed with anyway.

Oh and btw. Windows 7/8 can act as a DMS too.. but i dont know which media it can stream (probably streams only what can be played with Windows Media Player)
But i have to admit i got NO practical experience with DLNA at all.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:27:17 AM by Executer »

Dwarfer

• Clan Council

• Technical Architect

• View Profile

Executer

• Clan Members

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 07:58:25 PM »
Maybe ?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Torrent-Samba-and-DLNA-with-3-hard-dr/?ALLSTEPS

I personaly wouldn't consider that an option with transfer speeds ranging from 1-9 megabytes/s

But my setup is excessive anyway. I tried to get most bang for buck... 40 Disks spinning....  8)
I count my things in TB.

ArmchairCoward

• Clan Members

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
Haha, lots to think about!

I'm away on my jollies for the bank holiday weekend so I'll get my head into this when I get back.  Suspect I'll try doing a clean install of my old laptop and setting it up right from the get go.  Don't think I can afford to spend too much on a new bit of kit to essentially save me swpping cables about once a week to transfer to my external and back haha.

First world problems are the worst!

I've seen that page before dwarfer and it's somthing i'll give a shot when I get a few free days to play about with it.  Right up my street!

Anyway,  thanks for the advice.

AC

Executer

• Clan Members

• View Profile

Dwarfer

• Clan Council

• Technical Architect

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
These are on cashback again.. Good boxes